Pet Hazards in the Garage
Don’t risk your animal’s life, avoid leaving them inside the garage to avoid danger.
While it may seem like a good idea to leave your dog or cat in the garage during the heat of summer or the freeze of winter, it is actually far more dangerous for our furry friends than in the backyard or inside the home. Don’t risk your animal’s life, avoid leaving them inside the garage to avoid these dangerous problems.
While during the cold winter months it may seem ideal to protect your dog from dropping temperatures by allowing them to stay in the garage, during the summer this can be deadly. Their body temperature will rise higher in the hot garage than it otherwise would have outside leading to heat exhaustion. The garage will be much hotter and uncomfortable during the summer, causing your pet to suffer. If they have to be outside during these hot months, leave your dog with plenty of water and ensure there are areas of shade at every time of day.
Dogs are naturally curious and thus can get themselves into a lot of trouble. The garage is meant as a storage area for a number of dangerous liquids. A thirsty dog may not stop to think before he drinks. Some of the more dangerous things that could be stored in your garage include:
- Antifreeze – this is one of the greatest dangers to dogs and has killed an alarming number of pups over the years. While it doesn’t have a smell, this substance is very sweet, attracting dogs. Even in small amounts antifreeze can kill a dog, destroying their liver. While there are brands of antifreeze that have been designed to be at least safer for dogs, it is best to keep your pets as far away as possible.
- Gasoline – especially if your dog has been known to get mischievous, gasoline in the garage can be a real problem. Because gas contains ethylene glycol, your dog’s life may be in danger.
- Motor oil – while this substance is usually not life threatening like the others may be, it can still be dangerous. Your dog may begin to feel lethargic or even slip into a coma after consumption. Immediately take your dog to the vet if you fear they have ingested any of these substances.
Our dogs are far more vulnerable to carbon monoxide than humans are. You should never start your car while the garage door is closed, but even running your car inside the garage with the door open can be damaging to your dog if they are inside. Give your dog fresh air after they have been exposed to carbon monoxide to ensure lasting damage isn’t done.
The garage is full of dangerous components for your dog. Never leave them in here, but instead choose other areas where you can safely secure them when needed.