Is your garage door making strange noises? Have you noticed that it’s not opening and closing as smoothly as it used to? If so, then you may need to call in a professional for emergency garage door repair. In this article, we’ll show you how to troubleshoot your garage door and determine whether or not you need to call a technician.
Common Garage Door Emergencies
If your garage door isn’t working properly, it could be a sign that you need emergency repair. Here are some common garage door problems that indicate you need to call a professional:
- Your garage door won’t open or close. This is usually the most obvious sign that something is wrong with your garage door. If your door won’t open or close, it’s likely due to a problem with the opener, eye sensors, cables, or the springs.
- Your garage door opens or closes partially. If your door only opens or closes part way, it’s probably due to an issue with the tracks, cables, or the rollers.
- Your garage door makes strange noises. If your garage door starts making strange noises, it’s likely due to a problem with the opener, the springs, cables, or the tracks.
How to Troubleshoot Garage Door Problems Yourself
A non-working garage door can be a major inconvenience. Fortunately, there are many things you can try to troubleshoot the problem before calling for professional help.
- Check for obvious signs of damage. If your garage door or hardware is visibly damaged or out of place, it’s best to call a professional right away. Damaged panels or bent tracks can be difficult to repair on your own and may require special tools. Trying to operate the door under these conditions could lead to more serious repairs very quickly.
- Listen for strange noises. If your garage door is making strange noises, it’s another sign that you should call a professional. Squeaking, grinding, or banging noises can indicate serious problems that shouldn’t be ignored.
- Inspect the eye sensors. If anything interrupts the signal between the eye sensors, it will cause the door to reverse direction while closing. This can be easily caused by a large object like a basketball, something very small like cobwebs or dust, or even too much direct sunlight on the sensor.
- Check to make sure the power is working properly. If the opener is plugged into an outlet, check to see if there is power going to the outlet.
- See if the garage door itself is obstructed in any way. If anything is blocking the door from opening or closing, move it out of the way and try again.
If the door still isn’t working, there is likely an issue with the garage door itself or connected hardware. If you suspect this is the case, we highly recommend reaching out to a professional; garage doors are very heavy and can be dangerous to work on without proper training. Instead, call a trained garage door repairman to come and take a look. Ignoring these signs can lead to bigger problems down the road, so it’s best to nip them in the bud right away.
Tips for Finding a Reputable Garage Door Repair Company
If you’re in need of emergency garage door repair, it’s important to find a reputable company to do the work for you. There are a few things you can look for to help you make the right decision.
First, check online reviews to see what others have said about the company’s work. Ask for someone who is familiar with the issue you are running into. Find out the warranty the company provides for their service. If the price tag for a repair seems high, consider getting multiple bids before making your final decision.
The video below is also a great resource for anyone who is considering hiring a garage door company. It covers five important tips to avoid getting taken advantage of, which are essential for anyone who wants to make sure they’re getting the best possible service.
How to Prevent Future Garage Door Problems
No one wants to deal with a broken garage door, but unfortunately, they can happen when you least expect it.
Fortunately, there are ways to prevent future garage door problems. One of the best ways to keep your door in good shape is to have it serviced regularly by a qualified professional. This way, any potential issues can be caught early on and fixed before they become big problems.
Another way to prevent damage to your garage door is to make sure that you’re using it properly. Avoid any rough contact with the door, and keep objects away from all moving parts. Clean and lubricate it once every year or so. With a little care and attention, you can help keep your garage door in good working condition for years to come.
If you’re having problems with your garage door, it’s important to know whether you need emergency repair services. In some cases, a simple fix will do the trick. But if the problem is more serious, you may need to call in a professional. Here are some signs that you need emergency garage door repair:
- The door won’t open or close
- The door is off its tracks
- There’s a broken spring or cable
- The opener isn’t working properly
If you’re experiencing any of these problems, don’t hesitate to contact us at A Plus Garage Doors for help.