A Few Statistics
It’s summer in Utah, and this wonderful time of year means kids are out of school and hanging around the house most of the day. Chances are you have not only your own children to corral, but half the neighborhood as well at one time or another! Whether your Utah garage doors are manually operated or you enjoy a new state-of-the-art automatic garage door opener, it is essential to educate your kids about what to do and what not to do in the vicinity of the door as they get their bikes out or simply use the garage as an exit and entry way. Unfortunately, injuries to children can and do happen: here are a few statistics from 2007.
- 7,557 injuries occurred as a result of fingers getting pinched or crushed between section joints
- 2,102 were injured by falling doors
- There were 313 spring-related injuries
- 224 were hurt by doors that were in need of repair
- 134 were hurt in a race to “beat the door” as it was being lowered
- 89 were injured by actually riding on the door as it went up or down
A huge percentage of these injuries could have been avoided if parents had taken the time to educate their kids about garage door safety, exercised proper supervision, or made sure the door was in peak operating condition.
What Parents Can Do
- Set a good example: If adults exercise good safety practices around their garage doors, they are indirectly modeling proper behavior to their children too.
- Have a talk: When peak usage time starts (and that’s now!), take the time to talk about the do’s and don’ts of putting the garage door up and down. For older kids, explain the mechanics of how the door works including any consequences that may come from unnatural interference with the mechanism’s job.
- Get routine inspections and maintenance services performed on your doors: Too many injuries result from doors that are imbalanced, have worn springs, or other problems. If you have an automatic garage door opener, it needs TLC just like any other home appliance.
If you need maintenance for your Utah garage doors or if it’s time to upgrade to a newer model, contact the experts at A+ and we’ll take good care of you. Have a safe and happy summer!